|| *River Song [speaking to the handcuffed Doctor, as she realizes she must sacrifice her own life to keep the Doctor from sacrificing his]: Funny thing is, this means you've always known how I was going to die. All the time we've been together, you knew I was coming here. The last time I saw you, the real you — the future you, I mean — you turned up on my doorstep, with a new haircut and a suit. You took me to Darillium to see the singing towers. Oh, what a night that was! The towers sang, and you cried. You wouldn't tell me why, but I suppose you knew it was time. My time. Time to come to the Library. You even gave me your screwdriver; that should've been a clue. [The Doctor tries unsuccesfully to reach their sonic screwdrivers] There's nothing you can do.
- The Doctor: You can let me do this!
- River Song: If you die here, it'll mean I've never met you!
- The Doctor: Time can be rewritten!
- River Song: Not those times. Not one line! Don't you dare! It's OK. It's OK, it's not over for you. You'll see me again. You've got all of that to come. You and me, time and space. You watch us run!
[River starts to weep.]
- The Doctor: River, you know my name. You whispered my name in my ear! There's only one reason I would ever tell anyone my name. There's only one time I could...
- River Song: [Smiling sweetly at the Doctor as the countdown reaches zero] Hush, now — spoilers!
- River Song: [Voice-over, as the Doctor walks away from the Library] When you run with the Doctor, it feels like it'll never end. But however hard you try you can't run forever. Everybody knows that everybody dies and nobody knows it like the Doctor. But I do think that all the skies of all the worlds might just turn dark if he ever, for one moment, accepts it.
[The Doctor runs back and picks up River's sonic screwdriver]
- The Doctor: Why? Why would I give her my screwdriver? Why would I do that? The thing is, future me had years to think about it. All those years to think of a way to save her, and what he did was give her a screwdriver! Why would I do that!? [Peels back a panel to reveal a set of green lights like on the suits, realising why his future self has given River the screwdriver] Oh, oh, oh! Look at that! I'm very good!